[BozemanLUG] computer setup question

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Mar 6 05:39:57 UTC 2020

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> If I have a 120 GB SSD as a primary drive and a secondary drive as a
> spinning platter drive, how hard is it to setup Linux on the SSD and
> then move my home partition to the secondary drive? My thinking is
> if I install only linux I would want the speed on the SSD. But
> installing games using wine or proton I would assume they install in
> my home directory and I am trying to think of the easiest way to be
> able to install those games but not fill up the SSD. My thought was
> if I moved my home directory and mounted it on the secondary drive
> it would solve my problem?

Most all distros, during the install... have a manual partitioning option.  You can totally make /home be a partition on the second disk.  If you only had an SSD and did the install... and then later added a second drive... and wanted to move your home... you'd boot into single user mode... mount your second drive, rsync /home to the temp mount point, mv home to old-home, and then mount the new disk on home... and then update your /etc/fstab.  There are a few variations there... is the original home a separate partition or just on the / mount?  I don't think it really matters how you do it.

> My other option would be to dual boot between Windows and Linux in
> which case I would install windows on the SSD and just dump all of
> Linux on part of the secondary drive. This would be the easiest and
> would allow my to boot into windows if needed.

It's up to you but for games, get a MiSTer FPGA! :)