[BozemanLUG] computer setup question

Ren Wall renwall at protonmail.ch
Fri Mar 6 05:59:37 UTC 2020

If you decide on a complex partitioning setup you may want to simply prepare
your partitions in a live environment before running the installer. Some
installers have limitations in the built in partitioning tool, especially if
you intend to use an unusual LVM+LUKS setup.
With regards to where to put your home folder I would say keep your home on
the SSD and mount a partition of the HDD in your home folder specifically as
a target for games you do not want on the SSD. Most if not all game installers
and digital distribution platforms will allow you to specify an install location
and you wont be stuck having to put *all* your games on the HDD.
Additionally, if you use LVM you can leave some space on the HDD open for another
partition mounted somewhere else if your storage needs change later.

Ren.