[BozemanLUG] cell recovery

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jul 24 15:24:45 UTC 2019

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I'm not sure, but google might have copied a significant portion of
> stuff (contacts, email, personal data, etc) to the cloud to better
> track and market you. But I think samsung redirects most of that
> stuff to themselves and doesn't back up photos.

While it is fairly widely known that I don't have a cell/smart phone... I do keep up with them and a few of my family members let me play with theirs sometimes.  If I were to get one, it'd most likely be the one shown in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aADeK-bSMU

Anyhoo... yeah... me too... I was under the impression that the vast majority of the bundled applications (not fond of the shorter "apps") were automatically synced to the cloud... for such an occasion like the one you mentioned (phone damage)... as well as to go beyond the internal storage capacity of your phone (and many phones don't offer SD/microSD card slots)... and also to make it easier for everything to appear on the next device you buy once you register it.  If it isn't working that way, I'd say that is a flaw in the design of one or more specific applications or the overall environment provided by the phone.  On the other hand, some folks might not like their stuff pushed up to the cloud automatically... and they'd see the lack of such a feature (or the ability to turn it off) as a feature. :)

I don't have any magic troubleshooting skills either.  Given that anyone who would like to work on it would most likely need a duplicate phone to transplant pieces from the original to... while $800 might sound like a lot, it really isn't.  Or at least that's what the hard drive folks do.

In any event, good luck.