[BozemanLUG] Removing Write Protection from USB

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jun 8 23:19:50 EDT 2016

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> you are not making my evening Scott! lol. Yes, it is clear it was
> designed that way. Looks like super block. Can't write zero's to it.
> I am starting to wonder if it is a hardware block or switch that is
> actually encased inside of the outer USB case. It is about the only
> thing at the moment that makes sense. Stupid Dell & Microsoft.

It isn't a regular USB thumbdrive.  It was made differently so that it is read-only... like a non-writable CD or DVD.  It was cheaper for them to make it that way and the bonus is that people won't immediately re-purpose it... and they can only use it to do Windows 10 installs.

To the best of my knowledge, there is no switch because it isn't capable of being re-written to.