[BozemanLUG] Best spam filter

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Nov 15 12:41:36 MST 2012

Greetings,

I'm not an advanced mail server admin but I do have a couple.  If all I want is basic email and that's it, I'll use MailScanner which is a package that interfaces with stock mta's, virus scanners, and anti-spam applications.  It works with a number of different components and tries to manage them and update them for you.  There is a lot of documentation and a large community.

If I need a more complete email system with global addressbook, calendaring, etc... I've been using the Open Source Edition of Zimbra Collaboration Suite.   It is a complete system that contains all of the components it uses (most of which are FOSS software)... with a custom pop/imap/ltmp server and web-based client.  It does fairly well with spam... which is to say... that a small percentage gets through... but it does as good or better than MailScanner so I don't have a reason to complain.