[BozemanLUG] Best spam filter

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Fri Nov 16 09:55:29 MST 2012

I have to mention, when I said SpamAssassin, I meant MailScanner. I did use SA before MailScanner, but they use SA, pyzor, and all too, just more effectively than SA alone. The sa-learn command still applies tho!

With MailScanner I also used a front-end MailWatch http://mailwatch.sourceforge.net which was cool for redirecting trapped spam to the rightful user; I was redirecting all detected high spam to a special spam account and away from the users (family). It also gave me sweet graphics of the mail statistics and such.

In the MailScanner settings you do have options to tap into all the blacklist db's too. I think I always used SORBS if I recall correct.

And now I too am a faithful user of Zimbra Scott mentioned below. I haven't done much of any customization at all to this and it does well. I have to train it now and then with missed items, but this is also not your basic setup I mentioned; it keeps a bayes db for each user so you're not at the mercy of them poisoning it for you. Mail administration is fun, but seems to evolve with the spammers lead which gets tiring. Zimbra has taken a ton of burden off leaving me to worrying about keeping it up to date or migrating it to new servers. I don't have time anymore keeping up with anti-spam techniques.

--
Warren Sanders