[BozemanLUG] Best spam filter

Kevin Locke kevin at kevinlocke.name
Thu Nov 15 09:57:22 MST 2012

On Tue, 2012-11-13 at 19:25 -0700, Jordan Schatz wrote:
> I run a few email servers, and spam has been quite a problem. Any opinions on
> the best spam filtering software? I've tried spam assassin, but even with
> tuning, and a few GB of spam to train on, its results are pretty abysmal.

I've gotten a lot more mileage out of doing protocol-level checks than
content checks.  Tweaking your Postscreen configuration (if you use
Postfix) and adding additional RBLs can help, depending on which RBLs
you are using at the moment and their coverage.

rob0 has dropped a lot of good advice on the postfix-users mailing
list and conferences (in addition to running the spammers.dontlike.us
mailing list, which you may also find useful).  In particular,
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mailing.postfix.users/N-J3CIBbwe8/QhedvTODMmsJ>
and
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/mailing.postfix.users/-CuNNjsD4fc/2gmrrB2zopoJ>have a lot of information that I have found useful.

Good luck,