[BozemanLUG] You Tube video on Linux Desktop

Robert Potter rpotter at zoncko.com
Tue Sep 7 14:20:46 MDT 2010

Few things that jumped out at me were:

1) the discussion of video drivers in relation to kernal updates.  I have
not knowingly noticed this issue with my Ubuntu installs but it is similar
to an issue that frustrates the heck out of me.  I have yet to understand
how anything that works in the previous version no longer works in the new
version.  With Ubuntu that means only a maximum of 6 months of something
working, it might no longer work again.  To me this is unacceptable.

2) The discussion of a unified package manager system.  Although a nice
thought, I too draw the line if it means I have to accept RPM hell.  But
what I would like to see is a unified Debian file structure and a unified
RPM file structure.  If as a developer, you could make one debian package
and one RPM package and that package would install across all RPM or Debian
distro's then I think it would simplify the whole processes.  I could get
behind that.

3) I also started to wonder how much of the desktop "it just works"
improvement we have seen is actually related to advancements in drivers and
other software versus usage habits?  What I mean by this is if you just use
a web browser, email client (if not web browser for email), and office
app/suite then many of the Linux desktop distro's will work just out of the
box.  Add to that the driver improvements we have seen and you can tell many
people that Linux may work fine for them.  So maybe we have been lulled into
thinking we are making better progress on the desktop front when in reality
we have made just a little progress?  I don't know, I do believe the Desktop
is better today then it was a few years ago but not sure how much is based
on my usage.

-Rob