[BozemanLUG] You Tube video on Linux Desktop

Brian Vincent bvincent at moonlightbasin.com
Tue Sep 7 14:01:13 MDT 2010

I just watched this.  The whole thing.  That topic used to be near and dear to my heart, but I gave up on it about five years ago.

This video could have been made ten or twelve years ago and every single thing he brought up would have been a major point then - video sucks, audio sucks, application support sucks, packaging sucks, testing sucks, fragmentation of core systems sucks, etc, etc.  Nothing has changed and I predict in ten years we'll still be complaining about the same issues, with the possible exception of audio; I think there's a reasonable chance we'll stop reinventing that wheel at some point in the next five years.  Then again, we had sound servers a decade ago (anyone remember esd?) and nothing has changed, so maybe not.

I actually had a series of articles I was going to publish last year about this.  I place the blame for all of those issues squarely on the shoulders of the large corporations who "support" Linux, if you want the complete list, just go to The Linux Foundation's website and click on a list of their members.  If they really supported Linux or believed in the idea, they have the $$$ it takes to fix those issues.  We're not even talking a lot of money - just a few percent of their overall R&D budgets.  Even if they didn't directly contribute $$$, the lack of leadership is appalling.

But hey, you can get a phone with Linux on it now and that's pretty cool.

Brian Vincent
Moonlight Basin Technology
bvincent at moonlightbasin.com