[BozemanLUG] Minetest update

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sun Sep 13 00:49:59 UTC 2020

Greetings,

My younger son (Jackson) has been playing Minecraft for many years.... on both Linux and Windows.  He primarily has used MultiMC to manage it but has gotten frustrated over the years because of how difficult it is to manage mods.  Minecraft seems to be anti mod and the community has had to find away around it.  At least that is the perception I've gotten.

You may remember that we played with Minetest a few years ago as it is a FLOSS alternative to Minecraft.  At that time Minetest left a lot to be desired.  It didn't have much in the way of existing modules.  Well, it has really developed over the years.  About a year ago they released 5.0 and 5.3.x is the current version.  They seem to have a ton of mods for it now, and they are actually easy to install from within the client GUI.  They also have quite a few games to pick from.  A game is basically a pre-made world with a bunch of pre-selected modules.  Those games are easy to install.  Setting up a server is pretty easy too.

I just started working with it again today so I'm really not fully up to speed with all of this new stuff but it looks like Minetest is a reasonable competitor to Minecraft now.

I have set up a server but I currently just have a plain world without any modes.  I need to learn what I'm doing before I go inviting people in.

Anyone interested in Minetest?