[BozemanLUG] May meeting?

Ren Wall renwall at protonmail.ch
Thu May 7 02:48:04 UTC 2020

‐‐‐‐‐‐‐ Original Message ‐‐‐‐‐‐‐

> > I think it would be nice to do some sort of live virtual meeting as
> > well, I would like to suggest https://meet.jit.si if people are up
> > for video conferencing. Otherwise, I have a mumble server we could
> > use for audio conferencing.
>
> We could try Jitsi... does that do bridging on the server-side? If not,
> we are going to have a ton of bits flying for multiple video streams.

It does not do server side bridging, rather the clients make p2p connections negotiated by WebRTC, so the best clients are either the mobile app or an up to date Firefox or Chromium install. It takes about 2Mb/s per 1080p stream with the encoding settings it uses.

> If it doesn't have a stream bridge, hopefully, it allows end-users to
> turn off their cameras dynamically... and we could sort of toss a virtual
> baton.

Yes, you can turn your camera on and off on the fly, as well as share your screen and adjust the arrangement of video feeds.

> See everyone at 7 PM tomorrow night. For a meeting name... BozemanGLUGMay2020?

That sounds good to me, It would probably be a good idea to all be in IRC as well, in case there are problems with the video we will still have real time text.

Ren.