[BozemanLUG] January Meeting

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jan 2 18:35:56 UTC 2019

Greetings

----- Original Message -----
> The regularly scheduled January meeting is next Thursday, January
> 3rd. Will that work for all of the regulars?

I only heard back from Justin who said he probably wouldn't be able to make it.

I've come up with two soft topics:

1) Firecracker - a newly open source project from Amazon that is a Virtual Machine Manager designed for modern hardware and jobs... specifically trying to be usable for container cattle/fleet type runs

2) Desktop Linux 2019 - Linux Journal's January issue is about distros and Bryan Lunduke (not one of my favorite people) also did an online article where he asks questions of the Debian Project Leader, the CEO of elemetary Linux, and the Fedora Project Leader.  I thought we'd review the articles and discuss them

Regarding Firecracker, I've played with it a tiny bit by going through their Quick Start Guide... downloading their statically compiled binary, their sample Linux kernel image, and their sample Linux distro disk image (based on Alpine) and fired up an instance... but have no practical experience using it so don't expect much.  I do believe I have a good understanding of what use cases it is trying to address so we can talk about that.

Anyone have any other topics?

Hope to see you tomorrow night.