[BozemanLUG] Raspberry Pi stuff at Target?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sun Dec 8 18:54:22 UTC 2019

Greetings,

I was in the Bozeman Target yesterday and noticed that in the electronics area there was a section of "STEM" toys / learning products.  There were several Raspberry Pi-based kits from Kano and others... and there were even stock Raspberry Pi 3B+ units, power supplies, etc.  While I wish they would have had Raspberry Pi 4 stuff, all of the parts they had for sale were for the model 3 so that makes sense.  Anyway, I bought an official RPi 3 case.

I recently retired one Raspberry Pi 3 that was my media center (replaced it with a Roku that can do all of the streaming networks and not only Plex)... so I decided to give the latest, greatest Fedora ARM a try... by downloading their F31 XFCE image and it worked great.  I don't think that works on the Raspberry Pi 4 yet but I'm not sure.

I do have a 2GB Raspberry Pi 4 and Raspbian should work on it fine... but I don't think they have an easy way to connect to a secured wifi.

I also noticed that Newark had 4,000+ 4GB Raspberry Pi 4 units in stock when I checked yesterday.  I believe the Raspberry Pi models have surpassed the Commodore 64 as being the highest selling personal computer.