[BozemanLUG] ATI Card, Linux, & an Optiplex 960

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat Mar 12 11:10:15 EST 2016

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> Okay all, I have a mystery for you all to ponder.
>
> I am using an Dell Optiplex 960 and I installed a PCI ATI Radeon card
> that has two Display ports. Off of one of the display ports I ran a
> Display port to DVI connector and hooked my monitors DVI cable into
> the Display to DVI cable.
>
> I basically have no display to work with. Running Ubuntu Mate doesn't
> seem to give me anything to make work. If I boot it into Linux I
> have a ton of horizontal lines and distortion. I I boot into windows
> I will never see any image all. Monitor does not even detect a
> signal.

As you probably know, most of those systems have an onboard video chipset of some sort (Intel?) and a VGA port that goes with it... which probably has a plastic cover over it unless someone has already pulled it off.  Anyway, can you get any BIOS display?  If not, plug the monitor into the VGA port and see if you can see the BIOS... and if you can, got into the BIOS and turn off the on-board video.  That might help.

It would also be good to test the monitor with another system to validate that it is functional.