[BozemanLUG] problems loading "x"

Robert Potter rpotter at zoncko.com
Mon Jun 20 22:04:46 EDT 2016

***SOLVED***

Scott, thank you for your original response. It helped focus my digging in
a way that allowed me to find the solution. I had forgotten about creating
a new user. By doing that I was able to narrow down that the problem was
not system wide but very much user profile specific. I was largely leaning
in that direction based on being able to login to the system from non X
session but didn't know that for sure. I do think I had seen some clues
earlier in my google searches but didn't really know nor did I really know
how to dig deeper on them.

Bottom line, root had taken ownership of .Xauthority. I found a post that
had me do the following to determine that:

"ls -lah" if equals "-rw------- 1 root root <date> .Xauthority" then do:

"chown username:username .Xauthority" and try logging in.

I guess for some users that does not work and you have to go in another
route. In my case it did work and I am typing this from my linux desktop
after a reboot and successful login. I am guessing the .Xauthority file got
scrambled from the power outage but that is all a guess. I do not use the
computer on a daily basis and I am guessing it was running until the power
outage but I could be wrong. During my research on this I found references
to this happening for ATI graphics card users. As much as I dislike ATI,
that is the brand of card I am using although I am not using the
proprietary driver (that I am currently aware of). So who knows, maybe my
problem was related to the graphics card and some other triggering factor
unrelated to the power outage.

Either way, I am back up and running without reinstalling my computer and
along the way I might have learned something as well. Thanks again Scott.

Rob

Ubuntu MATE 16.04 LTS dual booting on Optiplex 960