[BozemanLUG] Linux to Linux Remote Desktop

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Jun 9 02:12:12 EDT 2016

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I would like the ability to access one of my Linux desktops from
> another Linux desktop using a remote desktop client. I installed
> Remmina in part because it is capable of SSH support. Silly me, I
> thought it would grant me a graphical based remote session using the
> ssh protocol. But instead it delivers a terminal session which
> baffles me. Why would I install another application with an implied
> other use to do something I could do via pre installed terminal? At
> any rate, do any of you have any RDP like suggestions for Linux to
> Linux connections using SSH protocol?

Depends on what you want to do.  Until Wayland takes over, I like x2go. I primarily use it to establish a graphical connection to a remote system... as opposed to... connecting to a existing X11 session where two users share the desktop together.  x2go has a desktop sharing applet for the later but I don't use it as much and it is a little slower than the other use case.

x2go also has some limitations.  For example, it can't run any desktop environments that require 3D support... which rules out GNOME 3 (and Classic mode too), Cinnamon, and Plasma 5.  It does work fine with MATE, XFCE, KDE 4.x, etc.

It just so happens that x2go runs everything over ssh.