[BozemanLUG] Dell PowerEdge 2950 Server up for grabs

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sat Apr 2 21:19:28 EDT 2016

Greetings,

I acquired two new-to-me servers today:

1) Dell PowerEdge R710
  See: https://www.montanalinux.org/dell-poweredge-r710-on-the-cheap.html

2) Dell PowerEdge 2950

Both are 2U rack mount servers.  I'm considering giving away the 2950 at the LUG meeting if anyone might be interested.  I booted the 2950 with both CentOS 7 and Fedora 24 pre-alpha and it and they worked fine.  It just doesn't have any hard drives.

Dell PowerEdge 2950 Specs:
2 each dual-core Xeon 5160 Processor 4MB Cache, 3.0GHz, 1333MHz FSB
8 DIMM slots (DDR2 PC2-5300), currently populated with 4 each, 1GB DIMMs
6 each 3.6" hard drive bays (SAS) (no drives)
PERC 6 RAID controller (works great in Linux for hot-swap and live spares)
1 low-profile DVD ROM drive
2 each 1GB NICs
4 USB2 ports (2 in front, 2 in back)
2 VGA ports (1 in front, 1 in back)
1 serial port
Dual power supplies for redundancy (both work)

RAM for it is fairly expensive.  Crucial.com wants $143 for a 4GB DIMM.

Drives for it aren't too bad.  A 2TB 7.2K drive costs about $149 (http://www.xbyte.com/ProductDesc.aspx?code=CAT_147_9)

For more info on the PowerEdge 2950 see:
http://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_ser_stor_net/esuprt_poweredge/poweredge-2950_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf

It is in very good condition.  Anyone interested?