[BozemanLUG] Regarding Fedora 23 and nVidia proprietary drivers?

david david at eder.us
Thu Nov 19 01:04:23 EST 2015

Nvidia is yet to release a driver that is compatible with the new
version of xorg that Fedora 23 ships with.  It's supposed to come out
pretty soon (any day to six months).  It's not just the extreme 3D games
that have troubles.  Many games fail to start because the open source
driver is still in infancy and has not implemented many commonly used
opengl functions.  They made a decision to not fall back to software on
these functions so that there would be motivation out there to get them
working with the hardware.  The problem is partly that the proprietary
drivers are good and nobody really cares until some distro jumps the gun
like this.  Perhaps the open source drivers will get some love because
of it.

My kids are not too happy that almost the only games they can play right
now are flash games in the browser.  I told them there is more to life
than ... ect. ... and hopefully drivers will be out soon.

I will probably have to use the nvidia script to install, as when the
drivers come out they will only package them for the current kernel,
which crashes on the kids' dell box.  We'll see.

I won't be upgrading my box until the drivers are out.

David.