[Discuss] Unable to boot after nvidia install

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Jun 29 04:22:35 EDT 2015

Rob,

----- Original Message -----
> help! :) I finally took the plunge and tried installing the stupidly
> convoluted rpm fusion nvidia install. At first I thought I had a
> working set up upon reboot. I even saw the nvidia splash
> screen...and that was the last graphical element I ever got to see
> again. All I got after that was a black screen. So I finally gave up
> and thought I would try uninstalling the driver so I attempted to
> bot using the recovery option. No dice, error message loop. So I
> then tried booting into the previous two kernels... Still no luck.
> As it sits now it appears that I have a hashed OS.
>
> So my hope is that you all can offer me some guidance so I can
> hopefully repair things without a reinstall. Assuming my actual OS
> is not actually hashed, is there a way to boot via live DVD and edit
> a file that might let me boot into init 3 and hopefully execute the
> uninstall command?

rpmfusion should have some instructions somewhere... I think perhaps in the fedora solved forum or something.

I've never used any proprietary drives... so I don't know.

I doubt strongly your OS has gone bad... it is just your X11 setup has been told to use nVidia and it isn't working for you... so you have to tell it not to use it.

So far as being convoluted... as far as I know... it's just a package installation like any other... or is it different?

Good luck.

Well, I guess I lied... about 9+ years ago I got a lab full of machines that already had nVidia cards in them... and I just downloaded the package from the nVidia website... and whenever I upgraded the kernel I had to manually run the make that updates the stub driver.