[Discuss] FedUp to be retired

david david at eder.us
Sun Jun 7 19:58:48 EDT 2015

Of course this makes perfect sense. The systemd people noticed that
something was not yet rolled into systemd. On the bright side, as soon
as the kernel, the gui, and all of the games are incorporated into
systemd, updates will be really simple: you just update systemd.

David.

On 2015-06-07 4:12 pm, R. Potter wrote:

> Wow, right after I try using it, it is decided it no longer is the best way to upgrade...lol
>
> "FedUp no more!
>
> FedUp is the cleverly-named Fedora Updater, created as part of the Anaconda rewrite for Fedora 17. Anaconda is the system installer, and it was intentionally decided that it's complicated enough without throwing upgrade into the mix. So: FedUp, instead.
>
> Last week (but after I'd written 5tFTW), FedUp developer Will Woods announced that it's time to retire it. Instead, the systemd offline updates process will be used, and that will be integrated into our standard update tools, so doing an upgrade from Fedora Workstation will be just like any other update in GNOME Software (except, of course, bigger).
>
> Details need to be worked out, of course, including a command-line solution (possibly eventually still named fedup), and what exactly the Software UI will look like."
>
> http://fedoramagazine.org/5tftw-2015-06-05/ [1]

Links:
------
[1] http://fedoramagazine.org/5tftw-2015-06-05/