[Discuss] MariaDB/MySQL & dnf repository

david david at eder.us
Sat Jun 6 17:01:35 EDT 2015

If you download the source rpm file for mysql and extract the spec file,
you will find

 Obsoletes: mariadb-server

Mariadb does this:

 Provides: mysql = %{epoch}:%{version}-%{release}

and

 Obsoletes: mysql < %{obsoleted_mysql_evr}

You should be able just exclude the mysql packages you don't want and be
happy.

David

On 2015-06-06 11:58 am, R. Potter wrote:

> I thought I would attach a screenshot of what I am talking about. Not to argue a point but to show that Oracle is determined to replace the competition. :)
>
> - Rob

> From: Scott Dowdle <dowdle at montanalinux.org>
> Subject: Re: [Discuss] MariaDB/MySQL & dnf repository
> Date: Fri, 5 Jun 2015 09:08:01 -0600 (MDT)
> To: BozemanLUG <discuss at bozemanlug.org>
>
> Greetings, ----- Original Message from Rob -----
>
>> pending change log and discovered that MySQL was slated to replace MariaDB. I bagged the update but now I am afraid to allow any updates until I can figure this thing out. I don't want to over-write MariaDB but I am not sure how to have the MySQL repository while protecting the MariaDB package(s). Any advice?
> Yes, the repo files that dnf uses are in /etc/yum.repos.d/ I haven't used any third-party repos other than rpmfusion (on Fedora) and EPEL (on RHEL/CLONE) but generally... a third-party repo SHOULD NOT replace distro-provided packages. From what you have said it looks like the third-party repo you have added is not following that semi-rule... and ARE attempting to replace disto-provided packages. While I'm not familiar with the particulars of the repository you speak of, I'm guessing you could use one ore more --exclude= statements to tell the package manager to ignore the unwanted packages it is trying to install. The should work as long as the packages you want to exclude are not hard requirements for the package you do want to install. In the case of MariaDB, it looks and acts just like MySQL so software designed for MySQL should work with it. BTW, you can't always go by dates on files installed by packages... as all of the various properties of files and directories will be
maintained from package-to-installation. That means if you install a package today... the date/time stamps on the files that get installed won't be dated with the day they were installed... but with whatever the original date/time stamps of the files inside of the package. The package manager actually uses those for verification purposes so you can see if if anything from a package has been modified since install. I say all of that assuming the .repo file got there from installing a package rather than a cp or wget. Well, even wget sometimes will retain original file date/time stamps I think. I'll skip trying to explain the intricacies of package management in this email but we'll definitely go over it at the next meeting. If you want to disable a .repo file there are a few ways. Edit it and change enabled=1 to enabled=0. A .repo file may have one or more repo definitions in it so look for all occurrences of enabled=1. Or you can move or delete the .repo file... or you can tack on
something to the end of it so it doesn't end in .repo. I often do {whatever}.repo.off. All of Fedora's official repos should be named fedora-{something}.repo. All of rpmfusion's are named rpmfusion-{something}.repo. So any .repo files that don't follow those naming conventions are most likey third-party repos. Anyway, more at the meeting. TYL,