[BozemanLUG] A few paragraphs about BozemanLUG organic history

Mike Stone mstone0802 at gmail.com
Fri Dec 11 16:47:35 EST 2015

Not long. We only have a couple meetings there before we moved it over to a
bank. I left the area before Scott took over the group, and a lot of these
details are fuzzy for me since it's just been so long, but I do remember
attending the first meeting of the group. We did have a fairly good group
going for a while there with scheduled presentations. I still have some of
the old LFS CDs Ken handed out. I remember Rusty doing one presentation in
particular on OpenGL (I think?). The group faded into almost nonexistence
during Ken's jail time. To clarify on Scott's comment, Ken did have a drunk
driving accident that resulted in a fatality, but it was many years before
the LUG was formed. Ken was an admitted alcoholic, and was on the wagon
during the years he was operating the LUG. His jail time was a result of
falling off the wagon and drinking again, which was in violation of his
legal arrangement. During that time, Ken's significant other scheduled the
meetings, and usually they were only her and I. There weren't a lot of
users in the user group at the time. When Ken was finished serving his
time, he took back the LUG, and succeeded in breathing some new life into
it. It seems like the group was back up around 10 regular attendees by the
time I left the Bozeman area at the end of 2004.

Mike