[BozemanLUG] Live USB with persistence ?

Sheldon Ross ross_sheldon at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 22 15:50:44 MST 2013

I use Ubuntu live USBs all the time.
If you're opposed to using Ubuntu, skip to the next paragraph. I use Unetbootin, it's quite handy and handles pretty much any distro. I recently used it to create a live Windows 7 USB install. While it works great for making any ISO into a bootable USB, it only supports persistence on Ubuntu (or close derivations). You simply select the distro or ISO image and specify your persistence file size . It does use a filesystem image type file, so you will lose the space for other things. Not quite as space efficient as the VM approach, but easier.
As far as speed is concerned, most USB 2.0 - especially older drives - are junk. I have a bunch that max out at around 3MB/s. The simple solution is to get a USB 3.0 drive, even if you don't have USB 3.0 ports. They are backwards compatible and the flash/controllers are significantly faster. So they in effect saturate a USB 2.0 port.
My USB flash drives read and write from USB 2.0 at a steady 30MB/s. On USB 3.0 I read ~100MB/s and write ~ 35MB/s.That's with a pretty cheap USB 3.0 drive.
$13.99 for a 16GBhttp://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820211572

Sheldon