[BozemanLUG] Plex Media Server updated info

david david at eder.us
Wed Feb 13 06:29:01 MST 2013

I ended up ditching it.  It just didn't work well for me.  Most of my
movie collection is kids movies that I found at yard sales.  With few
exceptions it misidentified them as adult movies.  Trying to get it
accept my names seems glitchy.  It didn't always take.  Using a file
manager that caches frames works better.  I do have to note that samba
shares are *much* more stable than nfs.

So I turned to the other killer feature, the tv show library.  Again, I
was disappointed.  Many shows just toss you to the provider's web page.
Many don't work at all any more.  And again I was reminded why we
haven't watched tv (other than PBS) for a couple years now:  there's
just nothing I want to watch.

Now on to the positive side:  it's open source.

I looked at the pbs plugin to see how they managed to get the programs.
Within an hour or so, I was able to grab pbs programs on my own.  I'm
sure in the future if I want to grab a program, I will look to plex.

If anybody wants a pbs fetcher, let me know.  I'll clean it up, add the
appropriate license from plex, and send it to you.

David.