[BozemanLUG] Plex Media Server updated info

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Feb 12 21:49:16 MST 2013

Greetings,

We covered Plex Media Server at that LUG meeting last week.  Since then I've done a little bit of extra research.

You may recall I have a Raspberry Pi... the original Model B with 256MB.  The updated Model B has 512MB of RAM.  Anyway, the XBMC folks recently released the stable version (12) for the Raspberry Pi.  There are actually three XBMC flavors to pick from.  I picked RaspBMC.

Then I added the PlexBMC add-on for XBMC so I could easily set it up to talk to Plex.  It works great.  The Raspberry Pi is actually quite a capable streaming media center.  All of my video collection seems to work very well including the few 1080p files I have.  The vast majority of my collect is 624x352 800kb video / 64kb audio webm format files which actually look fairly good on the budget Sanyo 1080p HDTV we got for Xmas.

In other news, the Plex folks blogged yesterday about a brand new release of their Plex client for Android.

David told me via IRC on Friday that he installed Plex so maybe he can comment on how well it worked out for him.