[BozemanLUG] Potential topic for meeting this week

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Tue Dec 3 11:49:11 MST 2013

Greetings,

I've been doing some reading (and question asking of kapt2k from the BillingsLUG in IRC) about a relatively new container technology named Docker.  Red Hat seems to be doing quite a bit of work to accommodate Docker so it appears there will finally be a container technology they embrace... that is in the mainline kernel.  Docker is basically an management application and that utilizes cgroups and namespaces (the basic LXC building blocks), some filesystem tricks and git... for a really streamlined and powerful experience.

I haven't started playing with it yet... but I just learned today that Fedora has packages in updates-testing for Fedora 19 and Fedora 20.  They also built packages for EPEL 6 currently in epel-updates-testing.  With those packages and a tutorial or two I should be up-to-speed by meeting time.  In Fedora they already had a package named docker so this one is docker-io (and docker-registry).

Would anyone be interested in learning about Docker?