[BozemanLUG] Meeting reminder

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Aug 1 11:03:29 MDT 2013

Greetings,

The meeting is tonight (7PM) in the regular place (EPS 259) and I got quite a few feedbacks from members.  If all goes as planned David, Kevin, Gary, Rob, and me will attend... and we will have a special guest Caryl Bigenho (and her husband).  Kevin said he would probably be a little late because he is driving in from Missoula (I think).

The topic is:

- - - -
While there isn't a formal presentation planned, we'd like to spend some time talking about the disruptive technology that is WebRTC. With recent browser releases, WebRTC is very usable and there are a number of applications currently available with lots more coming.

Google has been working on updating the webm media container to include two new codecs: 1) VP9, and 2) Opus. These are major quality/compression enhancements for free / royalty free software.
- - - -

Also Caryl will be bringing an OLPC X0-4 that has a touch layer in the screen with updated software for touch input.  She will also bring an OLPC X0-1.75... but we've seen that model because I got one from the Fedora Project last summer.

But wait, there's one more thing... or two really.  I'll bring in my B&N Nook HD+ tablet that has been flashed to the latest CyanogenMod (Android 4.2.2-based).  Gary will bring in his B&N Nook HD+ with the stock B&N firmware interface so you can see the difference.

Hope to see you there and you can bring a friend if you have one.

BTW, parking... the pay lot across from the EPS building is currently under construction... so the best place to part is in the "SB lot" directly behind it.  Technically a hang tag is required 24 hours a day... but the reality is that they don't enforce it after ~5PM so feel free to park there.  I think most of you were already anyway. :)