[BozemanLUG] Interesting times for Linux gaming

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Mon Oct 29 11:07:15 MDT 2012

I don't play games, but I think this is a pretty interesting point in
the history of computing.

Since...oh...say...1979 with Unix V7 on the PDP-11, you've been able to
buy a reasonably priced bare machine and install software of your choice
on it, beyond the control of the hardware vendor. Many of us enjoy
working in an industry where that is still the case, but for how much
longer?

If the PC becomes a dongle for Windows, where are we going to get cheap
powerful hardware to run our code?