[BozemanLUG] Interesting times for Linux gaming

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Oct 29 10:44:20 MDT 2012

Jim,

----- Original Message -----
> Mega game publisher Valve says that Linux is more viable than Windows
> 8 for gaming:
> http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/10/valve-linux-more-viable-than-windows-8.html
> Valve says Windows 8 is "not an open platform anymore."  Yeah yeah,
> what's with the "anymore" part, right? :D
>
> They must mean it too because they're pushing their beta client (for
> the lucky few) now:
> http://www.valvesoftware.com/linuxsurvey.php

What are these "games" of which you speak?  I look in my start-ish menu and I see KMahjongg *AND* KPatience.  What more could a man need?

Games are for consoles... you know... those devices that most elite entertainment pundits say will soon be a thing of the past as they are buried by mobile devices?  I guess you could get an Ouya and save console gaming?!?  My older son is crazy and going to buy a Wii U.

I think the whole controversy between Valve and Windows 8 has to do with the fact that Microsoft embraces the closed ecosystem that has made Apple filthy rich... and if Microsoft is successful with their online software store, they will get 30% (or whatever the figure is for Microsoft) of everything sold (including games) and Valve wanted to be the gate keeper for games.  Valve will only truly be happy with Linux if they can dominate and become the gatekeeper of games for Linux... and that it actually takes off and turns into tens of millions of purchases per quarter.  More power to them but I don't really think they are doing us any favors.

The hardware makers are also feeling the pain as Microsoft moves further into the hardware business (again trying to be like Apple)... mainly because the two remaining big players (Dell and HP) can't seem to deliver a classy system without crapware and still be profitable.

So summing it up, when Microsoft acts more like Apple, it pisses a lot of people off.  One thing I do like about Microsoft imitating Apple is that Windows 8 will at least be cheap... at least in the beginning.  Supposedly if you have a legit system running Windows XP or newer, you can get Windows 8 for $39.99 through the end of January... and if you have a recently purchased Windows 7-based system and can prove it, you can get Windows 8 for $19.99.

I'm not trying to defend Windows 8.  I see it for what it is... Microsoft injecting their mobile UI into the only monopoly they still maintain hoping they can springboard users onto Microsoft mobile platform.  I don't know if they will be successful with the Surface Tablet product line... and just what additional hardware they will be coming out with in the coming months... but if Microsoft can't be successful, who can be?

Good luck Valve.  Maybe you've found new territory you can dominate.  That's just not for me.