[BozemanLUG] Linux web kiosk distro needed

Brian Vincent bvincent at moonlightbasin.com
Tue Nov 27 21:01:53 MST 2012

You know, that's a great tip, I've really been considering outfitting some of our users with something like that new Samsung Chromebook that came out.  We have a lot of folks who could get by with our webmail and just a few of our internal web apps.  Our moron Dell rep has decided he wants to screw us over on laptop pricing and I'm rather over it.

HOWEVER, to get more specific about this little project, we're switching our payroll processing over to ADP in the next few weeks.  Our PC users are set - they can just use the web browser on their desktop.  Other folks who filter through a common area will have access to biometric timeclocks.  Then we have some folks who are kind of in-between.  They don't use a computer, but the area they work in only has maybe 5 - 10 people filtering through it and it's not enough to justify installing a dedicated timeclock.  However, we've got some old laptops that can run a web browser distro just fine - it'd be simple to nail one to a wall and let them use it to clock in via the web interface.  In other words, my budget = $0.

Brian Vincent
Moonlight Basin Technology Manager
www.moonlightbasin.com
Home of the Biggest Skiing in America