[BozemanLUG] Best spam filter

David Eder david at eder.us
Fri Nov 16 10:10:38 MST 2012

I've not responded before, because my input is probably not very useful.
But what we need is better identity control.

Here is what we have now:

We give company A our e-mail address.  Company A is well behaved.
We give company B our e-mail address.  Company B is not well behave and
abuses our trust.

We cannot tell which company is the bad actor.

This is what we need:

We give company A an e-mail address unique to company A.  We give company
B an e-mail address unique to them.

When we get spam, we know the bad actor and we simple shut off that access.

I accomplish this for myself by running my own server and have an alias
file that is hundreds of lines long.  I have been somewhat inconsistent in
the past, but generally it works really well.  I can tell you, for
example, that Walmart is *much* more trustworthy than Target.

We probably need something like {pick your favorite password manager} for
e-mail addresses along with a catchall with white/black list.

If you have multiple customers, you could just tag it on.  For example
bob at mycompany.net might have bob.*@mycompany.net.

This of course will fail on mass adoption as it make e-mail buckets
guessable.

David.