[BozemanLUG] Local kids' computing ?

gary hildebrand wa7kkp at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:46:18 MST 2012

I'm partial to 8 bit computers, and my beloved VIC-20 and C=64.  Too bad
they're not readily available -- IMHO that is a great way to get started,
especially in ML (assembly language).  They're documented out to gahzing,
and if you think 64k doesn't do much, remember when GEOS came out.  Not bad
for a Mac look-alike machine.

Then move onto the PC and LInux.  When they get into HS, and college.  As
long as they don't turn into another "Windoze geek" who has no other
knowledge than knowing the ins and outs of how to tweek M$ software to work
the way you intended it, not THEIRS.

But then again, I'm more into hardware hacking, and using stuff the PeeCee
geeks would consider obsolete.  Hey, as long as it works, and is dirt
(literally) cheap, use it.  Three cheers for SCSI drives, Zip & Syquest
drives, even the old 3.5 and 5.25" floppies.  I picked up a Gateway 750 Mhz
Athlon machine that works just fine on older distros for . . . $10.
Barebox, but h**l, I'd rather putz with it than spend $10+ on a bad movie
and a good pizza.  Keeps me off the streets at night . . . LOL

Gary Hildebrand
Bozeman