[BozemanLUG] Poll / questions about upcoming Linux Fest in Montana

gary hildebrand wa7kkp at gmail.com
Wed Jun 6 16:21:49 MDT 2012

1) What city should we have it in?  Billings, Bozeman, Helena or Missoula?
Please state pros and cons for the one you pick.

Helena is the most central, for Western MT.  Billings has more people, but
little around it.

2) What should the venue be?

I guess that would definitely pertain to question #1... but generally,
should it be at a school/church (MSU Bozeman, MSU Billings, Rocky Mountain
College,) or at a hotel / conference center?  What conferences has everyone
been to in Montana and what venues do you recommend and why?  Or some other
place like a company headquarters?

I'd try for a college campus, Helena: Carroll College  Billings, Rocky Mtn
College.  I prefer the latter as my g/f is an RMC grad and lives 3 blocks
away.  Also check with middle schools -- Lewis & Clark (in Billings) had a
nice big auditorium, and rooms nearby.

3) What format(s) do you want?

Presentations / sessions - What presentation topics (general at this point
please) would you like to see covered at such a conference?

Should there be multiple presentation tracks (beginner/novice and
experienced for example)?

Do you want an expo area for commercial and/or open source projects?

YES -- flea market style that attracts mom&pop computer dealers, etc.  How
about a table for SuSE people, one for Ubuntu, one for Fedora . . .
hands-on installs for Linux wanna-be-users.

Do you want a hardware hacker/maker area?  If possible, YES

4) Cost - ideally the event would free... but depending on the venue, there
may be some cost involved... in addition to lodging and food for those who
have to travel to attend.  How much would you be willing to pay for entry
into the conference?  $10, $25, $50.  The cost would only be to cover the
cost of the conference and there isn't a profit motive.

Get the commercial dealers to ante up first, and the public to make up the
difference.  $5-10 is reasonable, much over that and people won't come.
Remember, this is the age of Reaganomics and the one percenters.

Gary Hildebrand