[BozemanLUG] BozemanLUG Feb. Meeting

David Eder david at eder.us
Mon Feb 20 12:24:57 MST 2012

Let's do a thumb drive install fest.

Here's what it looks like:

1) Everybody bring a thumb drive that's at least 4GB.
2) If you have a favorite distro, bring the install media.  I'm hoping
Scott will have a Fedora or CentOS DVD or net install.
3) Scott will disable the HDD in the host box BIOS. Can we do this Scott?
4) We boot the DVD/CD installer with the thumb drive inserted and install
the distro.
5) We remove the DVD, re-enable the HDD and boot the thumb drive.
6) We customize (perhaps auto-login).
7) We show our friends.

I've done this for a couple version of Fedora.  It seems to work pretty
well.  Properly tuned you can go from BIOS to usable desktop in about 15
seconds.

If we can disable the HDD, we could also use Virtual box and give it raw
access to the thumb drive.  That works pretty well for installation as
well.

This is different from the normal thumb drive images in a couple of ways.

1) It is not compressed.
2) Changes are not written to a log based overlay file system.  Thus, when
you delete something, you actually get your space back.

David.