[BozemanLUG] Playing with BTRFS?

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Oct 20 08:47:02 MDT 2010

Jordan,

----- Original Message -----
> I'd be interested... Especially if we could demo its reliability under
> bad conditions : )
> How has it been behaving for you with faulty hardware and/or power
> losses?

My presentation would be an overview of BTRFS and a fairly basic hands on demonstration.  I would not be doing anything fancy.  The only hardware I've used on so far is a single external USB hard drive... slicing it into about a dozen partitions and then creating BTRFS filesystems, adding partitions, removing partitions, balancing them, etc.  That of course isn't really useful for anything other than learning.

My guess is that BTRFS will be reasonably usable by the 2.6.37 or 2.6.38 kernel releases which are probably 4 to 7 months away.