[BozemanLUG] A blog posting I just wrote

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Mon Oct 4 12:57:50 MDT 2010

David Eder,

----- Original Message -----
> I believe the quest for membership numbers to be a common issue to all
> organizations. But I also believe it to be wrong-headed. If we seek to
> change our organization to be more attractive, we will head into the
> downward spiral of chasing whatever is the current "in" thing. This
> almost always universally fails.
>
> I believe the best approach is to first discover who we are.
>
> If we promote our true identity we will attract people of like-mind.
> If we promote what we think people will like, they will come, find out
> who we really are, and leave.
>
> I propose that we all answer the following question:
>
> Why do you come, and what do you think would make it better for you?

Your are a hardcore regular so your opinion doesn't count.  Just kidding. :)

But seriously, I'm not really wanting to change who we are... I just want to better serve our community... and the current format, while we are pretty happy with it, is not growing that community.  Am I concerned with numbers?  Not really.  I just want some indication of health and growth.  I don't really want to double our numbers or anything... I just know there are a lot of people interested in Linux in the Bozeman area and either they are are unaware of the BozemanLUG, they aren't interested in attending, or they are too busy like David B mentioned.

So, I don't really want to change who we are... I just want more people participating... and being who they are... and to have a bigger pool of people from which to draw presentations.

Perhaps we could start out with something simple like asking everyone what presentations they'd be interested in... and they don't have to be lengthy ones that take up a whole meeting... some of them can be short, targeted presentations for newer people.

I really enjoy the conversations we have at the meeting and would like to get more people to share in them so they can enjoy them too.

Please consider copying and pasting your email to the blog posting as a comment so non-email subscribers can find them there... and if so, I'll reply to your comment there too. :)