[BozemanLUG] OLPC presentation wrapup

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Jun 25 22:49:29 MDT 2009

Greetings,

Thanks again to Caryl Bigenho and her husband Ed.  The turnout for the OLPC Road Show was pretty good... especially for the end of June.  There were about 20 folks who showed up.  I took a bunch of pictures which can be found here:

http://www.montanalinux.org/image/tid/416

I was able to identify most everyone... but there are still a few "Someone" references.  If anyone can help me out with the names I'm missing, I'll get the info updated.

I video taped the presentation but the lighting wasn't that great and I haven't looked at it yet.  I plan on pulling it into a computer tomorrow and processing it and getting it posted probably by the end of the day.

Preparing for the presentation... and getting all of the machines in the lab running Sugar on a Stick (from LiveCD, LiveUSBHD, and LiveUSB) on PCs and Macs... I did quite a bit of reading on the project and plan on doing a summary article in the next week or so.

BTW, five of the folks at the meeting got a laptop to borrow for a month.  Let me see if I remember who they were:

Pippin had his own that he got from Give One Get One
Rob Potter
Chris Ching
Chuck McGuire
And I forget the other two

I will be getting a list from Caryl because everyone will be turning them back in to me.  I believe one or two might get turned in early and I can loan them back out if anyone else wants some personal time with them.

I'd really appreciate hearing from everyone on their experience with the laptops... and how their children (where it applies) enjoyed them.  Feel free to write a blog post (you have an account on MontanaLinux.org, right?) or add comments to my summary article once I get it posted.

Is anyone interested in maybe doing a pilot program with a school in Montana?  I'd be willing to assist if someone wants to take the lead.