[BozemanLUG] Linksys 54G router

rpotter rpotter at mypontification.com
Sat Jan 10 12:32:38 MST 2009

At one time it was my understanding that the newer WRT 54G wireless routers
were not able to be hacked and a linux/Open Source firmware installed.  But
I also have read things that make it sound like that limitation no longer
exists.  I have found WRT54G V8.2 that I am thinking about purchasing with
the desire to explore hacking the firmware.

Does anyone know if V8.2 would work for this?  Also, what open source
firmware would you all recommend?  Has anyone setup a VPN with one of these
or a vlan?  How easy or hard is it to build an ip table based firewall - is
it better on the router or by building another machine, etc?  I am just
looking for feedback first in regards to the router itself, but second on
the useful features of the open source software firmware.

Thank you,

Rob Potter