[BozemanLUG] Linksys 54G router

Pippin Wallace nippip at gmail.com
Sat Feb 28 22:50:56 MST 2009

Rob, I just ordered a Linksys WRT310N for $70 and will put DD-WRT on
it.  I went with this router over the WRT 54x because it fully
supports alternative firmware, supports 802.11 b/g/ and n, has a 4
port 10/100/1000 switch and has 50% more processing power than the 54
series.  The down side is that this router runs hot but some easy
modifications can help this situation and you have to pay about $10
more for this unit over the 54GL.  Check out the link below for a list
of DD-WRT supported routers.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Supported_Devices

In regards to VLAN's and firewalls, DD-WRT will do it all just make
sure to get a router with at least 4MB of flash memory and if you want
all the bells and whistles then get one with 8MB like the WRT350N.

Here is a good breakdown I found of the three main alternative firmware options.

Tomato offers less features than both DD-WRT and OpenWRT, but it's for
a different subset of users. It works better than the stock Linksys
code, but doesn't offer near the granularity of control, nor the
options of the other two, but it's very simple to set up and get
working in a short amount of time. It's interface is clean and easy to
navigate.

DD-WRT offers more VLAN and WLAN control than Tomato, but is not as
hacker friendly as OpenWRT although some say it is easier to config.

OpenWRT is just that, open. The base install is CLI only, and packages
have to be added in order to have a GUI control, at least that's how
it was last time I checked.  It offers at least as much, if not more,
functionality and control as DD-WRT.

Hope this helps.
Pippin