[BozemanLUG] Fedora preupgrade

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Fri Feb 27 16:40:14 MST 2009

David,

----- "David Eder" <david at eder.us> wrote:

> The preupgrade tool is pretty cool.  I actually did the update from 8
> to 10 (there was no option for going to 9 first).  No cds to burn, no
> grub lines to manually update.  It's really pretty simple.

Sorry to hear about the issues you ran into.  I'm guessing it would have been a much better experience if you hadn't jumped over a version.

Since I hadn't done it before I thought I'd give it a try.  To do that I did the following:

1) Built a MontanaLinux respin based on Fedora 9.  It uses the rpmfusion repos and is fully updated as of today.  I had to remove about 10 package names from my F10 config as they didn't exist in F9.  In total there were 1,804 packages installed.

2) Created a KVM virtual machine and booted from the LiveDVD image.  Did an "Install to hard disk".

3) Booted the system after the install... and installed the preupgrade package.  Ran preupgrade.

Right now it is in the middle of upgrading 1,009 packages.  I'll let you know how it turned out. :)