[BozemanLUG] Fedora preupgrade

David Eder david at eder.us
Fri Feb 27 12:43:58 MST 2009

The preupgrade tool is pretty cool.  I actually did the update from 8 to
10 (there was no option for going to 9 first).  No cds to burn, no grub
lines to manually update.  It's really pretty simple.  You should watch
the console output, as the problems are listed there instead of in the
gui.  I removed a bunch of packages that it said would be problematic. In
the end, I only had a few problems.

The first was that the nspr package, which is essential for quite a bit of
the system to work, installed its libraries as symlinks to themselves.
This was especially bad because it broken rpm.  I extracted the files from
the rpm on a different computer, deleted the broken symlinks and put them
in place.  It also breaks just about every service (X, httpd, postfix,
dovecot, rpm, yum) on the box until it is fixed.  This is supposedly only
a problem when you skip 9.

The second problem was that the new version of Bind didn't like my
configs. I commented out the offenders and will figure it out later.

The rest was getting KDE4 to work.  There's an abundance of stuff that is
supposed to help.  I tried a bunch of them all at once and don't really
know which ones helped.  I has to group remove kde for yum update to go
from 4.1 to 4.2.  But it all seems to work now, albeit a little slow.

David.