[BozemanLUG] November BozemanGLUG meeting

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Sun Nov 1 00:25:16 UTC 2020

Greetings,

I needed to refresh my application containers lecture for this semester... since we switched to EL8 for the student VMs and they can run podman as a user now... so in prep for that... I made a screencast for our meeting... where we can learn about podman a little more.

As you should recall, I've been a LONG TIME user of system containers (starting in 2005 to present) but haven't been that fond of Application containers (Docker started in 2013).  Well, podman can do user aka rootless containers well these days with user namespaces... AND it is also integrated with systemd and can run systemd in a container nicely for multi-service/process containers... so it isn't too difficult to run a system-style container as a user with podman.

The screencast is about 33 minutes and it shows creating a Containerfile (like a Dockerfile) to build a new image... that pulls the standard Fedora 33 base image... and then installs a bunch of additional packages including XFCE, Firefox, Libreoffice, GIMP, etc... and x2goserver.  Just to show a few more traditional services, I threw httpd, sshd, and mariadb-server in there for good measure.  Then I show to create/run a container with the image mapping internal container ports to ports on the container host system... and how to connect to everything... including ssh, http, and x2go.  If you have a reasonable network, multi-media even works.

Last month one of our topics was how to take a podman container and make it into a systemd service so can can be managed easily with systemctl... and even how to do that as a user service.  I'll throw that in too... just for those who missed it... by linking to that video in the blog post containing the screencast.

Anyhoo... the normal Nov. meeting date is this coming Thursday (Nov. 5th).  Hopefully that'll work ok for everyone.  If not, please let me know ASAP.  I wonder if the election will have been decided by then?  Probably not.