[BozemanLUG] Meeting Thursday night

Justin Blackburn justin.blackburn at ski-blog.com
Fri Jul 10 09:37:48 UTC 2020

Scott,

And so we all stand corrected on the actual definition of idempotency--

It means we can run the same script or function over and over against the host or object and it will yield the same results.  If I am running a build script or a set of functions, the end state of my script should be identical regardless of the start state of the object.  If I have an object and think mathematical function and my function is f(x) = x+2, that is not idempotent.  If x=0, then f(x) = 2 but f(f(x))=2+2 = 4.  If f(x) = `$hostname="serverA"; echo $hostname` then executing f(x) is going to echo the ServerA every single time no matter how many times you execute it.

We are using idempotency to build our servers, instances, and infrastructure to be identical based on yaml and json settings so when we execute a build function, it is idempotent and turns out the same way every time.  In Scott's example, he is also correct.  If a build script fails and you have an idempotent script, you simply run it again.  This is also true for a server or instance.  We want to do this with servers that break where they become misconfigured or even as part of our patching situation.  Sometimes it is better to just rebuild them new rather than even try to troubleshoot them.  You simply "repave" them.

Next time we have an in-person, I will demo some of the stuff we have happening and how we are building things with Ansible and how we are structuring our Developers and Operations teams together.  How we build and expand on the stuff out on Ansible Galaxy and how RHEL8 and the new RHCE requires Ansible to pass it.  (I just saw this was part of the RHCE track for RHEL8)