[BozemanLUG] tar vs compression

Robert Potter rpotter at zoncko.com
Mon May 29 12:38:40 EDT 2017

Okay, way back in the day when I first tried RedHat I downloaded a file and
had to un-tar it and then uncompress it. I have always thought it was
double compressed. But I was reading something last night that made me
think that I might not understand what tar actually does and why you would
want to use it.

So, does tar itself actually do any form of compression?

If tar does not do any type of compression, why would a person want to use
tar in conjunction with a compression protocol? What would I be trying to
achieve by combining a compressed file with tar?

Thank you,

Rob