[BozemanLUG] More on systemd :)

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Thu Apr 20 13:11:03 EDT 2017

Greetings,

----- Original Message -----
> I heard somewhere that systemd is the Windows Vista of Linux. I'm
> trying to like it, I really really am but it just feels gross and I
> loath the switch to binary logs.

Hmmm, do I want to get sucked into the swirling time vortex of systemd discussion that has been taking place for years?  Probably not.  I'm sure everyone is well aware that I'm a systemd fan... and while I could definitely easily make a case for it with a few bullet points, I'll spare you.  Aren't you glad? :) You've probably heard it all before anyway.

So, how many people reading this are still using distros that use something other than systemd?

I still have a small handful of EL6 boxes (using upstart in mostly SysVinit compatibility mode) but hope to replace most of them over the summer.  I definitely have more Fedora and EL7 boxes though.  And when I'm on the non-systemd-based systems, I feel like I have traveled back in time.  I wouldn't call them uncomfortable, just less comfortable.

So far as desktop distros are concerned, maybe there are still some Debian 7 or Ubuntu < 14.04 users still around... but I'm guessing the vast majority of you are using systemd-based distros.  I'll not gloat in the overpowering victory. :)  Enjoy your 'member berries (South Park reference).

systemd was first introduced in Fedora 15.. which was 10 releases of Fedora ago.  Can you believe it has been that long?