[BozemanLUG] problems loading "x"

Robert Potter rpotter at zoncko.com
Sun Jun 19 14:43:17 EDT 2016

So I could use some help again. We recently had a power outage that appears
to have impacted my desktop which was running at the time. When you turn it
on it will load up to Grub, show all of the options, boot the rest of the
way to my desktop login screen but then when I enter my credentials it
tries but fails to load my actual desktop. It briefly flashes and then
displays the login screen again.

I have tried booting into previous kernel as well as the repair options for
both the current as well as the previous kernel. Neither fixes the problem.
This morning I decided to try something else. So at the login window i did
a "cntrl + f2" and entered my credentials which logged me in just fine. So
now I know my user profile itself is just fine. I saw I had updates so I
installed updates from the terminal session and rebooted but still having
the same gui login problem. I once again logged in using "cntrl + f2" and
this time launched "x" using the "startx" command. My Gui desktop loaded up
just fine - maybe a little slowly at first, but just fine. I then did a
full shutdown and restarted the computer but still am unable to log into my
gui desktop from the login window. I am typing this email up from the gui
desktop that I launched using the "startx" command so I know everything is
functional in and of itself. I also issued the grub update command but that
did not fix my problem either.

does anyone have any experience or ideas that I could try to finish fixing
my computer?

Thank you,

Rob