[Discuss] Unable to boot after nvidia install

david david at eder.us
Tue Jun 30 11:12:56 EDT 2015

I don't know if this is relevant, but when we updated on my son's
computer, the akmod failed. It needed recompiled, but was unwilling to
try again. I told it to

akmods --force

and then rebooted. It works again.

David.

On 2015-06-29 10:03 am, Robert Potter wrote:

> _SCOTT:_
>
> rpmfusion should have some instructions somewhere... _I WAS FOLLOWING THE RPMFUSION INSTRUCTIONS. OR SO I THOUGHT..LOL (HTTP://RPMFUSION.ORG/HOWTO/NVIDIA [1]) _
>
> I doubt strongly your OS has gone bad... it is just your X11 setup has been told to use nVidia and it isn't working for you... so you have to tell it not to use it. _THIS IS MY THINKING/HOPE BUT_ _THE ONLY WAY THIS IS POSSIBLE THAT I CAN SEE IS IF I CAN FIGURE OUT HOW TO BOOT TO A COMMAND LINE SO I CAN ISSUE THE UNINSTALL X11 COMMAND OR TRY AND FORCE A DIFFERENT VERSION OF THE DRIVER. SO FAR MY SEARCHES PULL UP SIMILAR ISSUES OTHERS ARE DEALING WITH, BUT NO INSTRUCTIONS ON HOW TO GET TO COMMAND LINE IF YOU CAN'T BOOT INTO THE OS AT ALL. _
>
> So far as being convoluted... as far as I know... it's just a package installation like any other... or is it different? _I ADMIT, THIS IS LARGELY OUT OF MY FRUSTRATION. BUT I AM ARROGANT ENOUGH_ _TO FEEL I AM STILL RIGHT AND LINUX WOULD BE BETTER IF THEY DID IT MY WAY...LOL. WITH UBUNTU AND OPENSUSE IT'S PRETTY EASY AS LONG AS DEVELOPMENT HASN'T SCREWED ANYTHING UP (THATS YOU UBUNTU). YOU CAN DOWNLOAD THE PACKAGE AND INSTALL IT OR MARK THE PROPRIETARY DRIVER FOR INSTALL AND IT'S DONE. BUT I CAN'T GET A STRAIGHT ANSWER ON THE ABILITY TO INSTAL USING FEDORA. THERE IS PROBABLY AT LEAST 3 DIFFERENT VARIOUS INSTALL METHODS THAT I HAVE FOUND AND THE RPMFUSION ONE MIGHT BE THE EASIEST LOOKING AND EVEN THAT TO A NOOB WOULD BE PRETTY DAUNTING, ESPECIALLY IF IT GOES SOUTH LIKE IT APPEARS TO HAVE DONE WITH ME. I HAVE SEEN MULTIPLE INSTRUCTIONS THAT REQUIRE YOU TO PRINT OFF THE DOCUMENTATION (FOR PROBABLY MANY USERS) BECAUSE YOU WILL HAVE A SOLID PAGE OF COMMAND LINE INSTRUCTIONS OF WHICH YOU
HAVE TO DO MULTIPLE REBOOTS AND KILL OFF GUI (INIT 3 VS 5) AND UNINSTALL OR DISABLE THE DEFAULT WINDOWING SYSTEM. IT'S A MESS IN MY OPINION COMPARED TO OTHER LINUX DISTRIBUTIONS. AND NEVER MIND THE EASE OF DOING SO FOR SOMEONE COMING OVER FROM A WINDOWS COMPUTER OR EVEN OSX._

> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> David,
>
> Based on "/sbin/lspci | grep VGA" and past look-up's I have done, I should have been able to use the 340xx driver. I have the GeForce 8600 series. But I am fine trying to use the 304 if it is more stable or will just work. But I have to be able to get back into my system first. How can I force a boot into init 3 mode if I have no way of booting off any previous kernel or off of the repair kernel? Is there a file I can edit via live boot disk that once edited will allow the system to auto boot into init 3 so that i can gain access to the command line and make the needed changes to my system?
>
> Thank you,
>
> Rob
>
> On Mon, Jun 29, 2015 at 6:47 AM, david <david at eder.us> wrote:
>
> This may be because you have installed the wrong version of the driver. If your video card is not really new, you need to use the legacy driver. You have to look up your card on nvidia's driver page. Then install the right one from rpmfusion. Or, you could just try them all, there's only three. There's the nvidia driver, the nvidia 340 and the nvidia 304. I use the 304, as my computer is now a few years old.
>
> David.
>
> On 2015-06-29 1:09 am, Robert Potter wrote:
>
> help! :) I finally took the plunge and tried installing the stupidly convoluted rpm fusion nvidia install. At first I thought I had a working set up upon reboot. I even saw the nvidia splash screen...and that was the last graphical element I ever got to see again. All I got after that was a black screen. So I finally gave up and thought I would try uninstalling the driver so I attempted to bot using the recovery option. No dice, error message loop. So I then tried booting into the previous two kernels... Still no luck. As it sits now it appears that I have a hashed OS.
>
> So my hope is that you all can offer me some guidance so I can hopefully repair things without a reinstall. Assuming my actual OS is not actually hashed, is there a way to boot via live DVD and edit a file that might let me boot into init 3 and hopefully execute the uninstall command?
> Thank you in advance,
>
> Rob

Links:
------