[Discuss] MariaDB/MySQL & dnf repository

R. Potter rpotter at zoncko.com
Thu Jun 4 21:14:21 EDT 2015

OK so here is my question and I hope one of you can help at least point
me in the right direction. I had to make a clean fedora install on my
laptop (we won't go there right now) which means I had to re-install
MySQL. I "had" thought I was using MariaDB on my other computer (not so
sure now) and so I figured I would just start off installing MariaDB
this time. I took a chance and tried installing via "dnf install
mariadb" (or something along those lines) which seemed to work fine. I
then wanted to install the MySQL Workbench to interact with the
database. For that I downloaded the repository installer and installed
via software package manager. I then decided to try a "dnf update"
before attempting to install the workbench. Before hitting the "Y" key
for the updates decided to read the pending change log and discovered
that MySQL was slated to replace MariaDB. I bagged the update but now I
am afraid to allow any updates until I can figure this thing out. I
don't want to over-write MariaDB but I am not sure how to have the
MySQL repository while protecting the MariaDB package(s).

Any advice?

Along these lines I even tried removing the repository until I could
get answers but I can't even seem to figure that out. It looks to me
like dnf might be leaving the repo files in the yum directory still.
But I am not sure what to remove because there is no MySQL repository
file matching the name of the downloaded and installed repo file. I do
see 2 or 3 MySQL repo files but their modified date is from April I
think so I can't even use that to determine if these are the repo files
I just installed.

So any advice helping me remove repo's would be appreciated as well as
advice on having the MySQL repository but controlling what it can do.

Thank you,

Rob Potter