[Discuss] Unable to boot after nvidia install

Scott Dowdle dowdle at montanalinux.org
Wed Jul 1 11:20:08 EDT 2015

Rob,

----- Original Message -----
> I'm not guessing. That command was one of the first steps on the
> how-to document. The 340xx driver is supposed to be the current
> driver for my card. All that said, once I found out how to edit grub
> enough to boot into command line (init 3) I was able to freely
> play/work on the issue. In the end I had to install the older 304xx
> driver but at least it is working. I suspect the 340xx driver issue
> is a bug but what ever, doubt I need it for how I am or was looking
> to use the nvidia driver.

Just a little clarification on how to change default targets.

In SysVinit you have runlevels 0-6.  3 is multi-user (text-only) and 5 is graphical (same as 3 but with a graphical login manager).

In systemd you have targets.  The multi-user.target is basically the same as runlevel 3 is in sysvinit.  The graphical.target is basically the same as runlevel 5 in sysvinit.  Here's how you check and change the default target on systemd-based systems.

To see what the current default is:
systemctl get-default

To change the default:
systemctl set-default {whatever}.target

To change the current target but not to change default configuration:
systemctl isolate {whatever}.target

So you do not have to edit grub to switch targets... but if the default is dying when it boots, I guess grub is the way to get back control.

Good luck with the driver change!