[BozemanLUG] Interesting times for Linux gaming

David Boreham david_list at boreham.org
Mon Oct 29 11:54:36 MDT 2012

On 10/29/2012 11:34 AM, Brian Vincent wrote:
> Where Linux completely falls apart is when it comes to directory services.
Um...I can unfortunately accept some of the blame for this :(

Sadly there never really was the stomach to compete head-on with MS in
this or other related areas, once they had achieved clear market
dominance (often by leveraging an existing monopoly). There are also
some significant technical and legal hurdles faced when you are not the
client vendor. I really can't argue with the business types who were
responsible for pulling the plug on our various efforts to compete ---
it was likely correct to put new investment $ into new not-MS-dominated
areas.

In future-world you'll be complaining about the $20/mo/seat you have to
pay for the "Business iCloud" accounts, or Google Apps, or MS LiveOffice
or Amazon Office Services, or (more hopefully) Rackspace or RedHat cloud
service that will have replaced AD :)